Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Delicious

I'm a totally disorganised librarian.  My desktop is full of files, the same as my desk.  It reminds me of a silent film with WC Fields.  His desk was about a metre high in papers.  However, he was able to dive in and retrieve the one he wanted.  Not that I can do that.  I spend quite a bit of time looking for files.  Yes, I have heard of folders, but there is something innate deep within me that resists order.  The desktop reflects my mind that jumps from one thing to another like a monkey.  Yes, that's it.  I have a monkey mind.  Delicious seems like the perfect answer for me.  It does the organising for me. 

This would be great tool for my job as Adult Services Librarian.  I have to organise events such as talks and workshops.  Often I find a lead on the net for a speaker but it's lost on my desk when I print it out or in the myriad of favourites on my computer at home.  Delicious would be able to store the link to a website or blog, and allow me to retrieve it at a later date, even at my computer at work.  The only problem I foresee is that bookmarks are only as good as the tags.  Nevertheless I'm determined to transfer all my favourites to Delicious, after I play with the cat, try a game of Sudoku, finish knitting those socks........

The link to my bookmarks is http://www.delicious.com/lkambourakis

2 comments:

  1. Great post Luba - I'm sure many of us can relate to your dilemma. It really does come back to prioritising and your cat probably does take priority over Web 2.0!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the messy workspace messy headspace link. I know it well! Good luck transferring over those favourite links, I still haven't gotten around to adding most of mine in...

    ReplyDelete