Saturday, January 22, 2011

RSS Aggregator/Feeds

This task has been the most time-consuming so far. I hope that this course gets easier as it goes along. I had problems subscribing to some blogs and they didn't appear on the list on Google Reader so heaven knows where they are.

Another one like Retro Pottery Net had two parts of it so you could read the posts in one subscription and the comments in the other.  I don't like this sort of feed because it's too complicated.
I chose this blog because I collect West German Pottery and it's very hard to get information about the pots and their manufacturers.  Over  the years I had accumulated a number of vases.  It didn't dawn on me that they were all West German until I looked at all their bases one day (not into cleaning).  Obviously I had been drawn to the colours and textures.  Now, I seek them out at markets and garage sales. 



Hank, John & Wally did a good
job of setting the Hills Hoist into
a concrete round in 1959.

Their inscription lasted longer
than the clothes line.

                                                    
The Marrickvillia is one of my favourite blogs.  A few years ago I Googled a book, "Marrickville Backyards" which was a collection of oral histories celebrating the diversity of back yards of Marrickville residents.  The only link I found was this blog written by Dr Meredith Jones who mentioned that she had some copies of the book which was published in 2001.  I posted a request on her blog and she sent me a  copy for free.  How generous was that! Her blog is a great resource depicting life in Marrickville.  She talks about the local people - their homes (especially the architecture which I love), where they work and delicious personal vignettes that give you great insight into her own life and that of the community. 

I also subscribed to a couple of work related blogs:
ACMI is the Australian Centre for the Moving Image.  I find their Digital Storytelling projects to be inspiring. I'm interested in helping people tell their stories - whether it's a writing group publishing their prose or it's an oral history or a vox pop.   Getting the stories to the wider community however is the biggest challenge.

The Human Library used to be called Living Libraries and I'm looking at this blog, that draws information from around the world, to get some fresh ideas.  I would like to get local people to come to the library and other venues to share their stories.

Western Australia Public Libraries - Learning 2.0 Basics is a compulsory and useful blog (suck).

2 comments:

  1. Well done on your most interesting blog - you are certainly doing lots of work and coming up with interesting results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Would you consider selling the rubin vase?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete