Thursday, January 27, 2011

Facebook

(Aside) I really like the way this site stores your blog as you type.  My computer went haywire after I installed Delicious and keeps on cutting me off all the time.

I often use Facebook to see how other people live their lives.  Yes, I'm a voyeur.  Not in a sinister way.  More like James Stewart in Hitchcock's Rear Window, although I don't have my leg in a cast as an excuse.  I am loathed to make comments, but that surely is the trademark of a voyeur.  The silent watcher who nods in a knowing way, and strokes their beard.  I wish I had a beard.  I'm not sure why people share all their personal details on Facebook.  I suppose I've been doing that in this blog, so maybe it's time for me to take off my overcoat and reveal myself in Facebook too.

Has anyone seen the film Catfish?  It's about the perils of Facebook.  Not sure whether its a real documentary though.  Whether it's real or not, it asks important questions about the security and genuineness of Facebook.   

At the City of Cockburn we use Facebook as a marketing tool to promote our events and distribute library information.  We have slowly been building up our membership but it seems like our Facebook is a one way street.  There isn't much interaction going on at all.  Recently we began a poetry competition on Facebook called Roses are red, violets are blue.  People have to join as our Facebook friends and complete the rhyme to win a $100 gift voucher.  To date we've only received 10 entries.  It's hard work.

1 comment:

  1. It can be disheartening, Luba, the lack of response to your efforts to engage :( I think that these technologies are still in uptake mode, once there is a larger number of
    likers' on the cockburn libraries page you will get to experience that feeling of 'wow, I'm actually reaching people in an immediate fashion' unlike the old email list which really restricts the flow of responses.

    ReplyDelete